Food in Bali

This post is dedicated to those food lovers (you know who you are, erhmm). It's definitely not a dream if you plan to have a food trip in Bali. The food in Bali is cheap. I won't say it's super cheap but definitely cheaper than Malaysia. I meant only those food in cafe/ warung. My advice is don't simply consume any street food. It would spoil your mood if you have food poisoning. 

*don't read this at night. It will stimulate your appetite hehehe.

Are you ready? 

1. Pawon Pasundan

We ordered: 
a) Two set of lunch (Rp 55,000 each). 
Their set lunch come with a soup which tasted weird to me because it had a sweet taste. I prefer salty soup. I like the chicken in my set. 
b) Flying gurame/ flying fish (Rp 63,000)
Not bad but nothing special to me. They just cut the fish and fried it into a flying fish pattern.
c) Pepper tofu (Rp 24,000)
I like this dish the most. The tofu is soft but the skin of tofu is crispy. They sprinkled some fried minced lemongrass on top of tofu. This lemongrass sprinkles make the whole dish perfect.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is my first meal in Bali. This warung recommended by our driver.

2. IIGA Warung
This warung is famed of its pork ribs. We did not choose to have our dinner here but our driver dropped us and went away. The reviews on Google is good but for me, it's just overrated. We ordered pork ribs (Rp 135,000), green salad (Rp 60,000) and a young coconut (Rp 30,000) which didn't taste young at all. The pork ribs tasted like char siew. We had a plate of char siew costs RM40.50 that night. And couldn't you just add a little bit more of fries? I don't think it's worth the price for the food we paid above.

Rating: ⭐⭐


3. Atman Cafe

On the second day, we thought that our breakfast was prepared by the host but turned out not. Hence, we went out to the street to search for our food. We found this cafe which served variety of breakfast and the price is reasonable too. After we walked into the cafe, we discovered a new world behind the cafe. At the back of cafe, there is a green paddy field. Wow, I like this combination: having breakfast with a nature view! <3 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


I like the ambience of the cafe. The theme of the cafe is closely related to the nature. Their tables and chairs are made of wood. 

This cafe also promote environment-friendly dining experience. I saw metal straws and metal bottles are selling over the counters.

Even their lamps have a nest-like design. Lovely.

This is our breakfast. Jing Rhu ordered tofu tempeh and scrambled eggs, Amelia ordered vegan mushroom and scrambled eggs and I ordered Spanish eggs with English muffin. The first two priced at Rp 55,000 and the third one is Rp 65,000. The special part about their breakfast is that all of these three dishes are served along with sambal. In Malaysia, we only see sambal in Nasi Lemak. But in Bali, sambal can be accompanied by different kinds of food. Their sambal tasted really good with all the food above. I strongly recommend this place.

Yummy!

Runny egg yolk, wooo.

4. Kintamani Restaurant
We had a buffet lunch here. I like their pumpkin sticky rice and satay. Others just average to me. I still prefer Malaysia's food hehehe :p They don't have much variety of food for lunch. Their fried fish was not fresh at all. I think their mineral water is more expensive than tea because I overheard the table next to me that they need to pay for their mineral water but tea is free of charge. The only thing I don't like about their service is that the waitress keep all your cutlery away but not replacing with the new one. I ended up with picking up the spoon from the next table and continue my dessert.

Price per pax: Rp 100,000 (not including tax)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐



Western style salad, tomato soup, and all the fried food. You can try their Balinese salad, Amelia said it's nice.

My favourite food of all. Satay with the sauce, oh yeah!

There are mango sticky rice in Thailand, we have pumpkin sticky rice in Bali. It wasn't as sweet as mango sticky rice. Amelia and I had a plateful of this.

Black glutinous rice dessert. It had a salty taste. I prefer the sweet one.

5. White Orchid Cafe
We were all full that night, hence we decided to eat something light. We ordered our dinner from the breakfast menu hehe. The waiter that served us was friendly. He was very happy to know we are from Malaysia. After that, we use Malay language to communicate hahaha. It is good place to chill alone/ with your friends at night. 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Amelia and I ordered smoothie bowl (Rp 49,000) whereas Jing Rhu ordered a big breakfast (Rp 65,000).

This is my dragonfruit smoothie bowl. Also my first smoothie bowl. Not bad. 

6. Nessa Warung
Most of the warung in Ubud starts operating at 10am. This is so far the only warung that we found opens at 8 in the morning. We have no other choices so we ate here. We were their only customers during that hour. Their food wasn't expensive but taste wise is average. 

I ordered curry with rice (Rp 30,000) and a cup of Balinese coffee (Rp 15,000). The curry tasted a little bit like the Maggi curry soup.

Amelia ordered tempeh satay with rice (Rp 30,000) and Jing Rhu ordered Fuyong Hai (Rp 25,000). Amelia likes her tempeh satay very much. The Fuyong Hai basically just an omelette with rice. In Chinese we said Fuyong omelette, nothing special.

Rating:⭐⭐⭐

7. Sayuri Healing Cafe
This is a vegan cafe that sells dessert. All their dessert are vegan. This is my first time having vegan food and it was good. The taste is no difference from the dessert we usually have. They mainly used coconut oil and nuts to replace the butter and biscuits we frequently use. Vegan food in Bali isn't expensive. Unlike in Malaysia, the more healthier the food, the more expensive they are. How do we promote good health to the public if healthy food is a burden to them? 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐(One bad review is that many food on the menu weren't available upon our ordering.)


Zebra sesame cake (Rp 45,000), Matcha raisin cake (Rp 48,000) and waffle (Rp 60,000+). The icing of waffle wasn't the same as the one you got in Starbucks or whatever cafe. This icing tasted sour because they make the icing by using coconut oil and other plant oil. It's nice to eat.

This slice of cake is sufficient to supply the energy for your whole day activity. We did not have lunch after that.

8. Taco and Grill
We accidentally discovered this restaurant while we strolling on the street. We decided to give it a try despite knowing the reviews are so good. But unfortunately, I think something happened on that night. Our dinner wasn't served after one and half hour. We were frustrated and decided to cancel our order and went home. Just right at the moment we decided to cancel our order, our dinner was ready. Surprisingly, it was the best meal I had in Bali. I fell in love with Mexican food after this. Besides the long wait, I think it's worth to have a try at this restaurant if you ever visit Ubud. I will definitely return again. They have live band performance starts at 7pm. The whole atmosphere becomes more romantic with the singing filling the peaceful night. This is definitely my best night in Bali.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Wet burrito. I haven't seen this in Malaysia yet.

9. Nasi Bertutu
This is their traditional Balinese food, just like our nasi lemak ;) Inside the dish, there are braised chicken, fried pork, peanuts, fried shredded ginger (I think), some vegetables and chilies. It's a must try in Bali.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Besides all of the above, you can try out babi guling and crispy duck. These two are the must-try food in Bali. We don't really like porks and ducks, so we just take other options.

Are you hungry now? ;) Thanks for reading.














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NUMed Interview

Taylor's Medical School Interview

3rd year.